I don’t think there is anybody complaining about the much needed rain in California today. Cold rainy weather equals baking to keep the house warm. 😉 I have this large bag of cranberries in the refrigerator from Holiday baking and because I bought the bag from Costco it’s a pretty big bag. So I decided on Cranberry Orange Scones. I found an excellent recipe- these are so fluffy, crisp on the outside soft and fluffy on the inside with the nice tartness from the cranberries. Absolutely perfect :)) I found this recipe on Pinterest from food blogger Cooking Classy.
My little orange tree….
- 2 cups (277g) all-purpose flour
- 8 Tbsp granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter, frozen
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp heavy cream, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 (heaping) cup fresh cranberries, diced into halves
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, 6 Tbsp of the granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt for 20 seconds. Grate butter and add to dry mixture, then using a long pronged fork or pastry cutter, cut butter into flour until it resembles coarse meal. Make a well in center mixture.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together 1/3 cup of the sour cream, cream, egg, vanilla and orange zest until well blended. Pour sour cream mixture into well in dry mixture and using a rubber spatula fold mixture until it starts to come together in large clumps. In a small bowl toss cranberries with remaining 2 Tbsp granulated sugar then pour cranberry mixture into dough mixture. Gently knead mixture by hand (in bowl or on counter) about 5 times, or just until it comes together.
- Dust a clean surface with flour and drop dough onto surface. Gently pat and shape into an 8-inch round. Cut into 8 wedges then transfer to a Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush tops with remaining 1 Tbsp cream. Bake in preheated oven until golden, about 16 – 18 minutes. Cool on a wire rack then drizzle with Vanilla Cream Glaze and allow glaze to set at room temperature. Store in an airtight container. Best served day prepared.
- For the glaze:
- In a mixing bowl whisk together all glaze ingredients until well blended.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy