My dinner is so pretty and colorful thanks to Serious Eats for this awesome Cod Fish with Yellow Squash recipe. This recipe has a marinade for this fish that gives it an even more butter like texture than it already has. I’ve craved something “new” this entire week, actually it’s my character to always be exploring recipes, hikes, places, people and finding new likes. 😉 Every time I walk into Sprouts I’m wide eye’d at those fancy cooking magazines they keep near the cashier…..I”m like……”I must have that.” I followed the directions exactly on this recipe and do use a slotted spoon when removing the Cod from the boiling water so it doesn’t break and the water can leak out.
- For the Cod:
- 1 tablespoon egg white, lightly beaten (see note above)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine or sake
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 pound cod or other firm white-fleshed fish such as halibut, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable, canola, or peanut oil
- For the Stir-Fry:
- 3 tablespoons homemade chicken stock or store-bought low-sodium broth
- 1 medium clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable, canola, or peanut oil
- 1/4 pound yellow squash, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1/4 pound asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- Kosher salt
- Cooked white rice, for serving
For the Cod: In a small bowl, thoroughly combine egg white, cornstarch, rice wine, and salt. Place cod in a bowl and pour cornstarch mixture on top, tossing gently to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Fill a wok with the water, bring to a boil, and add oil. Add cod and cook, stirring with chopsticks or a strainer, until opaque outside and still raw within, about 30 seconds. Gently drain cod in a colander and gently shake to remove excess water. Wipe wok clean and dry.
For the Stir-Fry: In a small bowl, combine chicken stock, garlic, sesame oil, and cornstarch and mix well.
Heat vegetable oil in wok over high heat until smoking. Add squash and asparagus and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
Add cod and continue to cook, turning gently to avoid breaking up the fish, for 1 minute. Add sauce, season with salt, and cook, stirring gently, until the sauce thickens and coats fish and vegetables. Transfer to a platter and serve with white rice.