I decided to take on the task of tackling a difficult dish but I knew if it’s from Cooking Light all the fatness that is usually in this dish would be cut out. At just 207 Calories how can I not try it? I’m not going to lie, this took me all morning to prepare before putting it in the slower cooker for 8 hours but worth it. Beautiful soft roasted tomatoes dripping from the meat that fell completely off the bone as I removed it from the pot. I followed step by step directions and loved the result. For the wine I just used the Dry Red Marsala wine. I loved that Cooking Light used a more healthier meat option than what normally goes in this dish. I had to smell this cook all day long. :)) Fantastic!
The steps in preparing it….
Roasting these tomato’s gave it so much flavor…
I wasn’t sure how many tomato’s to add in as 8 seem as if they wouldn’t fit, so I went with 6.
Cooking up Veggies in Tomato Paste and Broth…
Browned the meat than added it to the slow Cooker
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3 pounds cross-cut bone-in beef shanks
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided $
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups sliced onion $
- 3/4 cup chopped celery $
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot $
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup unsalted beef stock
- 1/4 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine $
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 plum tomatoes $
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind $
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt over beef. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil; swirl to coat. Add beef; cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Add beef to a 6-quart electric slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to skillet; swirl. Add onion, celery, carrot, tomato paste, and garlic; sauté 4 minutes. Add stock and mushrooms. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add stock mixture, wine, cornstarch, pepper, and bay leaf to slow cooker.
- 3. Place tomatoes on a jelly-roll pan. Broil 8 minutes or until blackened. Place tomatoes on beef, pressing lightly to crush.
- 4. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours or until beef is tender. Remove beef from cooker. Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Stir meat and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt into cooker. Discard the bay leaf.
- 5. Combine parsley, rind, and garlic. Sprinkle on top.