I found an awesome recipe by Cooking Light! It’s kid friendly very light on the flavors yet crispy and tasty. This one is making the rotation and after picking up some beautiful pieces of Cod at Costco this week I was excited to give this a go. As a side dish I made Couscous with Green peas- just to sneak some more veggies in our meal. I didn’t have any fresh basil on hand but the dried basil worked out perfectly as well. I also grilled my onions and tomatoes I just love the flavor of grilled veggies I prefer them over the raw.
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 4 (6-ounce) cod fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup vertically sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 2. Place egg whites in a shallow dish; place panko in another shallow dish. Dip fish in egg whites; sprinkle fish evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and dredge in panko. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat; swirl to coat. Add fish to pan; cook 3 minutes or until browned and very crispy. Turn fish over; place pan in oven. Bake fish at 450° for 7 minutes or until desired degree of doneness.
- 3. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, tomatoes, and remaining ingredients in a bowl. Serve with fish.
Tiffany Vickers Davis, Cooking Light
- Calories: 255
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Protein: 33.7g
- Carbohydrate: 9.2g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 73mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 383mg
- Calcium: 43mg