My favorite ethnic food is Thai, I love the creamy coconut flavors and the spiciness too. I don’t have any markets by me that sale Thai ingredients like Lemon Grass and Thai Lime Leaves. So, though I don’t get the traditional flavors of Thai unless I go to Hollywood and purchase those ingredients this was close enough for me to love! I was excited when I found Cooking light’s take on Red Curry Beef , with all the calories cut out of it too. All the tasty flavors thrown into a crock pot on slow cook for 6 hours made my house smell incredible. This recipe made the rotation! Love it! At only 245 calories per serving- how can it not right? The only change I made to this recipe was adding Red Bell Peppers- awesome!
- 2 pounds lean beef stew meat
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups finely chopped onion (1 onion)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup lower-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 2 cups bagged baby spinach leaves
- 4 cups hot cooked jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Drain. Place beef in a 4-quart electric slow cooker; sprinkle with salt.
- 2. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Spoon onion mixture over beef. Combine beef broth and next 6 ingredients (through jalapeño); pour over beef. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- 3. Stir in spinach. Cover and cook on LOW for 15 minutes or just until spinach wilts. Serve beef mixture over rice; sprinkle with basil leaves.
Cooking Light Slow Cooker Tonight, Oxmoor House
- Calories: 245
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 27.4g
- Carbohydrate: 20g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 624mg
- Calcium: 42mg