I try to get all my green and red vegetables in my diet every week but what I rarely eat is broccoli. I’m just not a fan of this vegetable at all and yet it is consider the healthiest and most beneficial of them all, so I read. This is a fantastic broccoli recipe and what better way to eat it than in a soup. I rarely eat soup but I have taken several attempts at them in the passed. This is Cooking Light’s recipe, however I did cheat as I’m not a fan of Velvetta processed Cheese so I used in replacement New York Cheddar instead and this came out so good- just add on about 100 calories or so to this dish if you go with regular cheddar. I really enjoyed this and it will definitely be a repeat for cold days.
If you want to try some other ideas of soups I tried check these out- Clam Chowder, Minestrone, Posole, Chicken Tortilla– for this recipe I add less broth in order to get more of the spiciness to it so do so if you like spice, Chili-Spiced chicken soup and Udon Noodle Soup. 🙂
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (16-ounce) package broccoli florets
- 2 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces light processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta Light)
- Heat a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until tender. Add broth and broccoli. Bring broccoli mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes.
- Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add milk mixture to broccoli mixture. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Stir in pepper. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
- Place one-third of the soup in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Return pureed soup mixture to pan.
- Calories: 203
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 6.3g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 15.6g
- Carbohydrate: 21.7g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 24mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 897mg
- Calcium: 385mg