I glanced at this recipe several times and finally after reading all of the 5 star reviews I decided I must give it a try. I see what all the hype is about as this is now one of my favorite sandwiches. I’m loving the pesto, goat cheese, eggplant and red bell peppers… ahh yes the perfect combination of flavors! This will be on my weekly rotation for lunch or quick dinner for sure. 🙂 Meatless too!! I grabbed this fabulous Eggplant and Goat Cheese recipe from Cooking Light!
If you love Eggplant try out my other Opened Face Eggplant sandwich recipe.
On Sour Dough Bread….even better
- 8 (1/2-inch-thick) eggplant slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 4 (1-ounce) slices ciabatta bread
- 2 tablespoons refrigerated pesto
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) soft goat cheese
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush both sides of eggplant with 1 teaspoon oil. Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membrane. Arrange bell pepper halves, skin sides up, on baking sheet with eggplant; flatten with hand. Broil 4 minutes; turn eggplant over (do not turn bell pepper over). Broil an additional 4 minutes; remove eggplant from pan. Broil bell pepper an additional 7 minutes or until blackened. Place bell pepper in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand for 15 minutes; peel and discard skin.
- 3. Broil bread slices for 2 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once. Spread 1 tablespoon pesto on each of 2 bread slices. Layer each bread slice, pesto side up, with 2 eggplant slices, 1 bell pepper half, and 2 eggplant slices. Toss arugula with remaining 1 teaspoon oil and black pepper; divide arugula mixture evenly between sandwiches. Spread 2 tablespoons goat cheese over each of 2 remaining bread slices; place, cheese side down, on sandwiches.
Maureen Callahan, Cooking Light
- Calories: 395
- Fat: 20.4g
- Saturated fat: 6.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 11.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 43.1g
- Fiber: 6.7g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 635mg
- Calcium: 108mg