Since I’ve been back from Spain I’ve had this craving for Paella and I found such an incredible recipe that I’m adding it to the rotation. This is not a dish that you can find in any Mexican Restaurant, as this is a Spaniards staple. Luckily, Cooking Light came through yet again for me and I found this fantastic Chicken and Shrimp Paella dish with less calories and fat than what you would find in a restaurant, all the reason to be at home cooking it yourself right? I loved all the flavors in this dish, the combination of rosemary, Safron and smoked paprika along with veggies that I never eat like Asparagus and peas. Though I’m not a fan of peas I barely even noticed them in this dish and they’re so high in iron too. My 4 year old daughter had two pieces of chicken from this dish! Kid friendly! I’ll be honest this was a good 3 hour cook and prep time.
Quick note: I cooked it slightly longer than indicated in the recipe in order to get the rice to a nice soft texture so definitely taste your rice before thinking it’s done. I used my Iphone 4S for the pictures. 🙂
- 6 chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds), skinned
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 (4-ounce) link hot turkey Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Arborio or Valencia rice
- 1/2 cup diced plum tomato
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 pound large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 cup (1-inch) diagonally cut asparagus
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Sprinkle chicken with rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove chicken from pan; cover and keep warm.
- Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring to crumble. Add onion and bell pepper; cook 7 minutes, stirring constantly. Add rice, tomato, paprika, saffron, and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Return chicken to pan. Add broth and 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Wrap handle of pan with foil; cover pan. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Stir in shrimp, asparagus, and peas. Cover and bake an additional 5 minutes or until shrimp are done.
Marie Simmons, Cooking Light