I reinvented these Chicken Lettuce Wraps that I found in Southern Living Magazine, with my own little twist by using Spinach, Mushrooms, Onions and Red Bell Peppers as my veggies with ground chicken. I added 2 TB of Teriyaki Sauce, 3 TB of Hoison, 1 TB of Creamy Peanut Butter, 1tsp Chili Sesame Oil, 1 TB ginger/garlic paste. I loved my version way better! The Magazine version is really sweet, too sweet for me. Definitely remaking my take on this again.
If you want to try the Magazine version of Lettuce wraps- see pic below, they came out really sweet tasting and I had to add 1/2 cup of water at the end of the recipe to tone it down a bit. Found this recipe in Southern Living. Really tasty and good way to cut the carbs out of your diet! 🙂
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (20-ounce) package lean ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, separated into leaves
- Hoisin sauce (optional)
- 1. Cook carrots and 1/2 cup water in a large nonstick skillet over high heat, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes or until carrots are softened and water is evaporated. Remove from skillet.
- 2. Reduce heat to medium. Cook turkey in skillet about 5 minutes, stirring until turkey crumbles and is no longer pink. Add carrots, mushrooms, and next 8 ingredients. Increase heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring constantly, 4 minutes. Add green onions, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Spoon mixture evenly onto lettuce leaves; roll up. Serve with hoisin sauce, if desired.
Susan Riley, Allen, Texas, Southern Living