Being Pregnant has had my taste buds all out of whack lately, I don’t want or feel for anything. Lately it feels like I’m only eating meat and I’ve been craving vegetables, so I thought, it’s cold and gloomy out and I want good hearty vegetables in my diet. I decided to make some homemade Minestrone Soup. I found this recipe from Tod Wilbur, this guy wanted to remake Olive Gardens version of this soup and though I have never had Olive Garden’s version, it was all the 5 star reviews that got me interested in making this dish. This soup is so full of goodness, from zuchinni, green beans, carrots, spinach, white and red beans, tomatoes, pasta shells and tasty spices it was exactly what I’ve been looking to eat. If you’re a vegetarian this is right up your alley! My 3 year old daughter was munching away at the carrots as I was making this dish, and I thought to myself what a good way to get her to eat vegetables.
Nutritional Value of Green Beans
Given below is the amount of nutrients in 1 cup (125 gm) of green beans:
- Calcium – 57.50 mg
- Copper – 0.13 mg
- Dietary Fiber – 4.00 gm
- Folate – 41.63 mcg
- Iron – 1.60 mg
- Magnesium – 31.25 mg
- Manganese – 0.37 mg
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids – 0.11 gm
- Phosphorus – 48.75 mg
- Potassium – 373.75 mg
- Protein – 2.36 gm
- Tryptophan – 0.03 gm
- Vitamin A – 832.50 IU
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) – 0.09 mg
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) – 0.12 mg
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin) – 0.77 mg
- Vitamin C – 12.13 mg
- Vitamin K – 20.00 mcg
- Calories – 43.75
Health Benefits of Zucchini
- Zucchini helps cure asthma, as it contains Vitamin C, which is a powerful antioxidant and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- The vegetable is known to help prevent diseases like scurvy and bruising, caused by the deficiency of vitamin C.
- Regular intake of zucchini effectively lowers high homocysteine levels in the human body.
- The vegetable can help prevents risk of having multiple sclerosis (MS).
- Zucchinis have high water content (over 95%), high nutritious value and contain a very low amount of calories, so they make the perfect snack item for people on diet.
- The vegetable contains useful amounts of folate, potassium, and vitamin A, necessary for proper functioning of the human body.
- Zucchini contains Vitamin C and lutein, both of which are known to be good for the eyes.
- The vegetable is a good source of vitamin B6, riboflavin, manganese and a lot of other nutrients.
- Eating zucchini is known to help the body in supporting the arrangement of capillaries.
- Regular consumption of the vegetable can help protect the body against colon cancer.
- Zucchini is believed to be beneficial in preventing heart disease and related symptoms, such as high cholesterol.
- The rind of zucchini contains the nutrient beta-carotene, which is known to be full of antioxidant properties and thus, helps protect cells against oxidation damage.
- The vegetable proves to be a good source of magnesium and phosphorus, the nutrients essential for building and maintaining healthy bones.
- Zucchini is rich in vitamin C, another powerful antioxidant that can provide protection against cardiovascular disease.
Nutrition Benefits of Eating Spinach
- Spinach is very rich in Vitamin A, which makes it beneficial for weak eyes. Any kind of strain on the eyes is reduced to a great extent and the eye muscles are made stronger.
- The thickening and hardening of arteries is prevented due to substances like choline and inositol, which are present in significant amounts to make sure the blood arteries remain healthy.
- Diabetics can particularly benefit from spinach since it is known that eating spinach regularly can stabilize blood sugar and prevent it from fluctuating often. Take a few handfuls of spinach and add 3 cups of water. Place it over low flame for almost an hour till it boils completely and mixes the nutrients in the water. Strain it and allow it to cool. Drink ½ cup daily to stabilize blood sugar.
- A particular substance known as flavonoid is present in spinach which is a powerful anti-oxidant and also has anti-cancer agents like carotenoid, preventing the formation of tumors.
- Spinach is known to be an anti-aging vegetable and reverses age related breakdowns, making you youthful and fresh. It also has a good amount of Vitamin K which helps in the clotting of blood in case of injuries.